Thursday, October 13, 2011

PE4_Illuminate and MakeBeliefsComix

For my up coming Relevant and Innovative Learning Scenario (RILS) I have decided to use two web2.0 tools which will help me assess student learning within my classroom. I will be using Illuminateed.com to grade and assess my 5 question quiz on Newton's Laws of motion and I will also have my students create a short comic strip on MakeBeliefsComix.com on an everyday occurrence they can associate with one of Newton's three laws of motion. Illuminate is a powerful assessment wich allows teachers from across the distric share benchmarks and data in seconds that would otherwise take weeks or months to collect and distribute.

 Illuminate scans a self created bubble sheet using the in classroom document camera to instantly give you feedback on individual students or the class as a whole. No longer do I need to collect the tests and take time out of my day to find a scanning machine to correct the tests. The information I instantly receive tells me what are the most missed concepts the class needs redirection on, and before the class ends I can begin to retach the students the concepts they are weaker on.


For the students to participate in a web2.0 tool, I have decided to ask them to make a short comic strip on Newtons three laws using the website MakeBeliefsComics.com. This is an easy to use program which allows the students to create a comic strip up to 4 panes to tell a story. The story i have asked my students to tell is one of a real life experience which fits into the category of one of Newton's three laws of motion. I feel that anyone can memorize Newton's three laws, but to really learn it one must be able to identify it in the world around them. Once the student finishes his or her comic the web site allows you to send the link to my email where i can then view and assess the comic they have created. A real fun way to end the lesson.



1 comment:

  1. I found Joe's Marquez's Blog inspirational and his web 2.0 tool, that uses a comic book tool to illustrate Newton's three laws of motion are some of the basic building blocks of science education. The way that Joe incorporates a web comic to teach his content area knowledge is extraordinary.
    Also, the way that he, as a teacher, has harnessed the Internet for no cost to his school, and provided not only a great way for his students, but, also he has found a way, to use another Web 2.0 tool for grading chores to be kept to a minimum. This new Web 2.0 tool gives him more time during the school day, because it allows him to hold the student’s completed Scantron form in front of his classroom computer’s webcam, which scans and converts it into a correct grade score.
    Joe seemingly has hit on at least two web2.0 tools that could be beneficial for any classroom, as long as you have a strong imagination for what the comic book program could do for you and your class.

    ReplyDelete