Wednesday, May 2, 2012

WK 3 Reading: Who Invented Rule Number 6?


All of my life I have been told to take things seriously. Statements like Double check your work, pay attention, no mistakes, work harder, or life is a competition have all been feed to me every day as I was growing up. It came to a point in which I though anything less than an A was unacceptable, no matter how much time and effort I have put into it. Conversely, also as I was growing up, I was inspired by my Grandpa, a Vice President of the largest Winery in the United States, who was constantly happy and always had a smile on his face. When I would visit him at work, his employees always greeted him joy and gratitude, and not the false kind of smiles employees normally give their boss. Later on in life after college and struggling to find my place in the world, I asked my then retired grandpa how he did it. How did he become so successful, run such a great operation, and have hundreds of loyal employees. My Grandpa told me he was just happy to have made it as far as he did, he would say “A man with only a 5th grade education had no right to make it as far as he did.” He told me that you have to be the kind of boss who knows he does not know everything. You have to be the kind of boss who takes chances, not only on ideas but also on people. If you surround yourself with people you trust and who conversely love you, you will be successful in anything you do. 

In this week’s reading I could not help but think back to the advice my grandpa gave me over the years and smile. Rule number 6 was my grandpa’s number one rule, don’t take anything too seriously and know that any mistake can be corrected, so one should not dwell on those mistakes. For someone to be a successful leader he must lead by example and believe in the people they work with. My grandpa would never hire from outside of his plant, he would only promote those who proved themselves with hard work and effort. His bosses would always ask him to hire emerging college graduates, but my grandfather thought it was better to hire a high school educated worker who would put himself on the line for his boss, rather than fresh out of school student who had not yet proved himself. In over 42 years of being in charge of two of the largest wineries in the world, he had the best running and most highly skilled workforce in all of the company. Yes my grandpa Led by example, put his trust and reputation in many “unqualified” workers, and always had a smile on his face. Yes I believe he invented Rule number 6.

My Grandfather died with me holding his hand on Mothers Day morning Sunday May 13th 2012. He will always be my hero, my inspiration, my spark and my best friend. The world seems a little less bright without him, but he will always be in my heart, my soul and my smile. I love you pop.
 

3 comments:

  1. Great story about how important relationships are and being authentic. In an era where that was probably not valued, your grandfather definitely made it happen. It can be tough holding oneself to a higher standart in order to be successful but at the same time not take oneself so seriously that one cannot back off on the perfection. Wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great example your grandfather portrayed! To add icing to the cake, you had a relationship with your grandfather to guide you in your journey. I never had the opportunity to spend time with my grandfathers. One died before I was born and the other died too early in my life for me to remember. Thank you for sharing this wonderful story.

    As with you, his words that you have shared, will stick with for the remainder of my teaching career:

    He told me that you have to be the kind of boss who knows he does not know everything. You have to be the kind of boss who takes chances, not only on ideas but also on people. If you surround yourself with people you trust and who conversely love you, you will be successful in anything you do.

    I am not the boss. I need to remember that I am a guide for the young lives in my classroom. As a guide, I do not have all the answers but am willing to journey with my students on a similar path but often with different objectives.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, so living with the rule number 6 motto is a good thing and your grandfather was a living example of that. I am going to try very hard to adapt this rule into my life. I bet it will make me live longer, since I won’t be as stressed out about things. I love that your grandfather accepted the fact that he didn’t know everything.

    We have grown up in a society where we feel like we have to be the best or we will be forgotten about. I think we need to work on letting go of this thought and just try and embrace life more.

    I think your grandfather sounds like a wonderful man! I’m thankful that he invented rule number 6 so that I will be able to live life a little more relaxed.

    ReplyDelete